Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion This is in regard to the Oct. 5 article about the Hamburg Street sewer line.I quote, “A sanitary sewer line is also being installed and will be paid for by the town of Rotterdam.” It will not be paid for by the town of Rotterdam. The residents of Hamburg Street alone are paying for the sewer line, which comes to $1,200 to $1,400 per year for 30 years. This is a sewer line the residents don’t want and didn’t vote on. The members of the town board voted. We had no say in the matter.This was forced on us by the town board members who don’t live on Hamburg Street. Every petition we sent in was the wrong one — even the ones the town said we had to use.I hope this opinion gets published, but I doubt is since The Daily Gazette seems to be biased in favor of our illustrious town board.Sandra RudeshiemRotterdamMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?
The House Commission X overseeing education, sports, tourism and the creative economy asked the government to postpone the Games because of the coronavirus. The chairman of the commission, Syaiful Huda, said the Games could be delayed until 2021.“There are many sporting events at the regional and international levels that have been postponed due to COVID-19, like the Tokyo Olympics and the Euro Cup. So there’s nothing wrong with postponing the PON to 2021,” Syaiful said as quoted by tempo.co.Syaiful, a National Awakening Party (PAN) politician, also said that the current circumstances were not conducive to the construction of several unfinished sporting venues in the host province.“Based on the latest information, there are still several venues that aren’t ready yet, so their development needs to be sped up,” Syaiful said. “If the airports and ports are closed, this means construction materials can’t be transported to Papua, which disrupts the building process.”The Papua administration began closing airports and ports across its 29 cities and regencies in March 26 to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Some local leaders have asked for the Health Ministry’s permission to impose large-scale social restrictions in their respective regions.Papua Governor Lukas Enembe sent a letter to President Jokowi earlier this week asking to reconsider the timeline of the Games, saying the disease had affected preparations for the quadrennial event, kompas.com reported.In his letter dated April 7, Lukas reported that while 85 to 90 percent of the venues were ready, he was worried the remaining tasks would be disrupted in the coming months due to a rise in confirmed COVID-19 cases in the region.As of midday on Thursday, the official government tally of confirmed infections in Papua was 38 with two deaths.Minister Zainudin said the decision of whether to postpone the Games could go either way.“Right now, the regional administration is focusing its efforts on containing the spread of COVID-19,” he said, explaining that a deadline on making a decision would be determined after consulting the President.The ministry had yet to tally up the costs it would bear should Jokowi decide to postpone the Games to 2021, Zainudin said, and it was already dealing with a very busy schedule next year, with at least six international events to prepare for.The ministry allocated Rp 500 billion (US$30.7 million) of its Rp 1.7 trillion budget for PON preparations. It is currently reallocating funds to assist with the government’s COVID-19 response.Topics : “We are currently looking into the input from various sides, including the House of Representatives Commission X,” Zainudin said in a teleconference on Tuesday.“The main thing that we are considering is how long the pandemic might last.”COVID-19, classified by the World Health Organization as a pandemic, has entered more than 200 countries worldwide, infecting more than 1.4 million people and causing over 80,000 deaths. It has had a particularly devastating effect on the sporting world, causing big events such as the 2020 Olympics Games and the Wimbledon Grand Slam to be postponed.In Indonesia, most sporting events have been canceled or pushed back, including soccer and basketball leagues. The fate of the first-ever National Games (PON) to be held in Indonesia’s easternmost province this year hangs in the balance, as it appears likely that the PON will become the latest major sporting event to be adversely affected by COVID-19.Youth and Sports Minister Zainudin Amali said his office was scrutinizing every aspect of the Games ahead of a planned consultation meeting with President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, emphasizing that only the leader could determine whether or not it will run as planned.The Games, to be held in Papua for the first time ever, are scheduled to run from Oct. 20 to Nov. 2, with athletes from across the country to compete in 37 sports in Jayapura city and Jayapura, Mimika and Merauke regencies.
Several states are reporting that with the rate of unemployment continuing the way it is, they will most likely run out of unemployment benefits by the end of this year.“This is an unprecedented crisis,” Jared Walczak, state tax policy director for the nonprofit Tax Foundation told Newsy. “We have, during really the entire history of the unemployment compensation system, not seen something quite like this.”According to the report, there is no federal requirements for the amount of money states need to keep in their unemployment trust funds so many states were left largely unprepared for such a large number of residents to file for benefits.Over 22 million people have filed for unemployment since the start of the pandemic and many more will likely follow.“People have lost their jobs in a very short period of time,” Walczak said. “The state systems are overloaded. They’re having trouble even processing claims, getting the money out the door. But it is overwhelming those systems. It is overwhelming their finances.”Wyoming is the only state that has reported that they will be able to maintain their benefits after a year’s time.California, New York, and Ohio say they could be out of money by the end of April.In order to continue providing for those who are out of work, states will be able to take out interest-free loans from the federal government, however, the loan must be paid back within two years, and may become an extra burden for taxpayers.