May 5, 2006 (CIDRAP News) – The latest human infected with H5N1 avian influenza died of the infection yesterday in Egypt, while a leading influenza expert called H5N1 the worst flu virus he has seen.The Egyptian victim was a 27-year-old woman from Cairo whose H5N1 case was announced yesterday, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). She had been hospitalized with bilateral pneumonia May 1, and a WHO statement yesterday had described her condition as stable.She was the 13th Egyptian confirmed to have an H5N1 infection and the fifth to die of it. Her case was the first reported in Egypt since early April. The WHO’s global case count now stands at 206 cases with 114 deaths.Meanwhile, virologist and influenza expert Robert G. Webster, attending an avian flu conference in Singapore, told the Associated Press (AP), “I’ve worked with flu all my life, and this [H5N1] is the worst influenza virus that I have ever seen.”Webster, who works at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, said that in poultry, the virus invades the brain and destroys the respiratory tract, the AP reported. Concerning the threat of a human pandemic triggered by H5N1, he said, “If that happens, God help us.”According to the story, he predicted it would take at least 10 more mutations to give the virus the ability to spread from person to person. He added there was no way to know when or if that will happen.”All of those mutations are out there . . . but the virus hasn’t succeeded in bringing it together,” Webster was quoted as saying.He also said far more needs to be done to prepare for a pandemic and to understand the virus’s behavior. Calling for stockpiling of more H5N1 vaccine, he labeled current efforts “miserable,” according to the story.Webster said research has been hampered by cultural attitudes preventing autopsies of victims, with autopsies conducted on only six people since the virus began spreading in late 2003.In other developments, the 21 countries in the group Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC), meeting in Vietnam, agreed today on a plan for joint efforts to respond to the avian flu situation. The organization consists mostly of Asian and Western Pacific countries, but also includes the United States, Canada, Russia, Mexico, Peru, and Chile.The 5-page plan calls for various kinds of cooperation. For example, the members agreed to:Increase the prompt reporting of avian and human cases and sharing of biological specimensEncourage the business sector to get involved in the prevention and control of avian fluEstablish “best practices and common approaches to risk communications”Work to improve biosecurity on commercial and “transition” poultry farmsDevelop ways to exchange information on “management of travelers” to minimize damage to trade and travelEncourage steps, such as use of pre-authorized visas and customs, to ease the entry of WHO rapid response teams into countries that have invited themSee also:WHO statement on death of Egyptian womanhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2006_05_05/en/index.html
Authorities in Clearwater, Florida are currently searching for two women who reportedly robbed a store and then drug the store’s clerk behind their car as they made their getaway.The incident occurred at a Dollar General store on N. Myrtle Avenue.According to the report, the store’s clerk followed the women out of the store and confronted them as they were getting into their vehicle. That’s when the driver of the vehicle put the vehicle into reverse and attempted to drive away. The clerk who was standing next to the vehicle at the time was then drug behind the vehicle for about 20 feet before he fell to the ground.Thankfully the clerk only suffered minor injuries, however, authorities are now searching for the two women.It was said that one of the women has rainbow colored hair and that the two women were able to get away in a black Nissan Altima with a temporary tag.If you have any information about this incident, you are asked to call 727-562-4242.
At that location, a man named Michael Jones told police officers that another man who was camping on his property in a white Jeep Wrangler had attacked him.Jones said when he told the man, who was later identified as Dovi, to get off his property, Dovi threw him to the ground and then used the Jeep to crash into a golf cart being used by Jones’ business partner. Dovi then allegedly backed up in Jones’ Porsche.Next, Dovi, engaged police and FHP troopers in a chase north on I-95, until a trooper’s PIT maneuver caused him to crash near Hillsboro Blvd.Detectives say that since the incidents occurred within close proximity of each other, and within a close time frame, they are looking into the possibility that the murders and the assault on Jones could be related.Dovi was arrested on charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault and fleeing and eluding. He remains at the Broward County Jail. The two men who were found stabbed to death behind a luxury condo on the beach at Galt Ocean Mile in Fort Lauderdale were homeless, according to an update from police.Authorities identified the men as 59-year-old Walter Amryan III and 37-year-old Adan Gonsulez. Their bodies were found at around 6:15 a.m. on June 9 at 3100 N. Ocean Boulevard, behind the L’Hermitage condo.The Fort Lauderdale Police Department had withheld the duo’s identities as they attempted to locate next of kin. While they were able to find relatives of Amryan, they said they have “exhausted all available means to find the family of Gonsulez and are asking anyone that might have information to contact police.”Police are still calling 64-year-old Daniel Dovi a “person of interest” in the killings.Three hours after detectives found the two men’s bodies on the beach, officers responded to a call a about a half mile south, at 2613 Center Ave.#BREAKING: Suspect in custody after @FHPMiami uses pit maneuver to bring police chase to an end. Northbound I-95 is closed near Hillsboro Blvd pic.twitter.com/Vsbiapo4vs— WSVN 7 News (@wsvn) June 9, 2020
Source: Talk Sports A ruthless Liverpool side gave Arsenal a lesson in prolificacy as they tore through their defense to secure a 3-1 win.Although they dominated possession, the Reds were lucky to go into the break with the lead as Arsenal passed up two huge chances.And then Liverpool took control, with Joel Matip heading home from a corner and the Gunners fell apart.Mohamed Salah celebrates scoring his second of the afternoonMohamed Salah scored twice as the visitors began to look weak, with the scoreline an unfair reflection on Arsenal’s performance for the first half.Substitute Lucas Torreira then came off the bench to score in front of the Kop, but it merely made the scoreline more reflectable as the game was over as a contest.Record signing Pepe started with real purpose, becoming the first player to dribble past Virgil van Dijk in 50 Premier League games.The Ivory Coast international then curled a shot wide just before the half-hour and Henderson had an effort deflected for a corner as the battle of the top two teams remained goalless at Anfield.Salah was insatiable at Anfield and Arsenal could not contain him Pierre-Emerick Aubamaeyang failed to lob Adrian as the Spaniard scrambled back to his goal, while Nicolas Pepe saw his tame shot palmed out by the 32-year-old.Pepe should have done better when he ran clear of the Liverpool defense but shot straight at Adrian.Liverpool broke the deadlock five minutes before the break as Joel Matip powered in a header from a corner by Trent Alexander-Arnold.The Reds were then awarded a penalty three minutes into the second half when David Luiz pulled back Mohamed Salah in the area and the forward confidently made it 2-0 with a rising spot-kick.Lucas Torreira pulled one back for the GunnersLiverpool was 3-0 ahead just before the hour as Salah scored his second goal of the game, outpacing the Arsenal defense from halfway and cutting in from the right to curl a left-footed shot across goal into the far corner.As the tempo of the game began to drop, Arsenal found a consolation as Torreira was teed up by Aubameyang. Although his initial effort was blocked, the Uruguay international then fired in a snapshot which gave Adrian no chance.The result moves Jurgen Klopp’s side back up to the top of the Premier League table and ensures their 100% record is still intact.Arsenal is now second after the defeat and must re-gather themselves ahead of a north London derby against bitter rivals Tottenham Hotspur next Sunday at the Emirates.
Global football chief Sepp Blatter insisted preparations for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil were on track Tuesday despite construction delays and a deadly accident which mean three stadiums will miss an end-of-year deadline to be ready. As the football world geared up for Friday’s eagerly-anticipated draw, governing body FIFA revealed three of the tournament’s 12 venues would not be able to meet the December 31 deadline for completion. One of the venues, Sao Paulo’s Itaquerao stadium, was the scene of a fatal accident last week which claimed the lives of two workers who were crushed to death when a crane toppled over. In addition, the completion of stadiums at Curitiba and and Cuiaba is now set for February, just four months before the finals kick off in June. FIFA President Blatter however played down the significance of the construction delays, saying he was confident Brazil would be successful hosts of their first World Cup since 1950. “We have just received a report. There are some small delays in construction of stadia. But so small that with one exception (Sao Paulo) we can say everything is ready,” said Blatter. The issues are “so small we can close our eyes,” he added.FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke said the stadium in Curitiba, which has been lagging behind schedule more than the other venues, would not be ready until the end of February. “We are not in crisis mood,” Valcke stressed. “Curitiba is the one where we are facing the most problems and won’t be delivered before the end of February 2014.”We will be ready to get the stadium by the end of February 2014,” Valcke said. The Arena Amazonia in Manaus, in the heart of the tropical rain forest, also remains under construction, as does the one at Cuiaba. Brazilian sports ministry executive secretary Luis Fernandes indicated that the stadiums lagging behind would be ready “in late January, or late February.” On Wednesday, Brazilian Sports Minister Aldo Rebelo will be among officials fronting pre-draw events where the hosts will stress they can overcome doubts about transport links, hotel prices and urban crime. Representatives from the Ministry of Tourism and the Civil Aviation authority will also address complaints about unreasonably high prices. Other concerns focused on accommodation capacity with some 600 000 foreign tourists expected to attend the month-long event starting June 12 in Sao Paulo. There is also a shortage of domestic flight links between venues as the government mulls whether to allow foreign airlines to run domestic routes to ease the strain. Some countries are also worried about the sheer size of the country, as some teams may face an onerous travel schedule with matches as far south as Porto Alegre, cold in the Brazilian winter, but also in tropical Manaus, and sultry Fortaleza some 3,000 kilometres (1,900 miles) away. Italy on Wednesday is set to propose the introduction of two two-minute time-outs per match to reduce the risk of players becoming dehydrated after FIFA elected not to change early afternoon kickoff times in some venues where the heat is likely to be a factor. The draw itself will feature eight groups of four teams and one of nine non-seeded European nations will face being moved into pot 2 alongside the five-strong African contingent and two South American sides.England coach Roy Hodgson, whose unseeded team could be in line for a tough draw, says the geography issue is almost as important as which teams his men will face. “There are venues in Brazil that will be harder to play in than others,” said Hodgson before heading for Costa do Sauipe from Rio. The eight seeds are hosts Brazil, reigning champions Spain, three-time winners Germany, Argentina, conquerors of two titles, fellow two-time winners Uruguay, Colombia, Belgium, and Switzerland, whom Hodgson led to the second round at USA ’94. With the draw venue an hour’s drive north of the Bahia state capital Salvador, organizers are hoping the event will not be marred by the kind of popular unrest which hit last June’s Confederations Cup. Many Brazilians are angry at the estimated $11 billion cost of staging the World Cup – about another $15 billion will follow for the 2016 Rio Olympics – believing the money would have been better spent on improving public transport,education and health care services.