Indian team set to tour Pakistan for Davis Cup in SeptemberIndia’s cricket team has not toured Pakistan since 2007 and bilateral cricketing ties between them have remained suspended since 2008.advertisement Indo-Asian News Service New DelhiJuly 29, 2019UPDATED: August 8, 2019 12:46 IST Reuters PhotoAn Indian team will travel to Pakistan for a Davis Cup tie in September, the All India Tennis Association (AITA) has said, despite strained relations between the nations.The nuclear-armed neighbours have gone to war three times since independence in the mid-20th century and another conflict nearly erupted earlier this year, giving an even spicier-than-usual geopolitical backdrop to sporting rivalries.India’s cricket team has not toured Pakistan since 2007 and bilateral cricketing ties between them have remained suspended since 2008.Relations further soured in February this year after a suicide car bombing killed at least 40 Indian paramilitary police in Kashmir putting question marks on the Asia/Oceania Group 1 tie, which will be held on Sept. 14-15 in Islamabad.”It’s not a bilateral series, it’s the World Cup of tennis. So no government clearance was required,” AITA Secretary General Hironmoy Chatterjee told Reuters.”We needed an invitation from the Pakistan Tennis Federation for the visa process which we have received. We are applying for the visas soon as it’s a lengthy process.”An Indian tennis team last toured Pakistan in 1964 for Davis Cup when they defeated the hosts 4-0 while Pakistan lost 3-2 in their last visit in 2006 in Mumbai.Until a few years back Pakistan was forced to host its home Davis Cup ties at neutral venues as teams refused to travel due to security concerns.Chatterjee said the International Tennis Federation has put in place stringent security requirements to host Davis Cup ties and India’s players are looking forward to winning the tie and progress to the World Group qualifier.advertisement”The security arrangements are ensured by the ITF. Their officials will be present during the tie,” Chatterjee added.”We have not made any special security demands.”For sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byrohan sen Tags :Follow Davis CupFollow AITA Next
zoom A slow moving low pressure system is bringing severe weather conditions off Australia’s New South Wales coast, prompting port closures at Port Kembla and Sydney and the imposition of restrictions in Newcastle, GAC reports.Port Kembla remains closed with monitoring of the port entrance to continue. The port will re-open when conditions ease, which may not be until April 23. The port has been experiencing winds in excess of 40 knots at stages and high seas at the entrance and approaches to the port, making boarding operations, ship handling and tug operations extremely hazardous.In the Sydney area, Port Botany and Port Jackson have been closed since 8 am local time today (21 April). Monitoring will continue, but the ports could remain closed for next 48 hours. Destructive winds, heavy rainfall and very heavy swell is expected to continue throughout today.The port entrance at Newcastle will be set as Heavy with selected restrictions in place for up to the next 12-36 hours, pending further inspections.