June 14, 2019 Updated: 12:31 PM KUSI Newsroom, VISTA (KUSI) – Ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow II, who was convicted of forcible rape and misdemeanor indecent exposure and lewd conduct counts earlier this week, will be retried on charges involving two other alleged victims on which jurors deadlocked, prosecutors announced Friday.Jury selection is tentatively set for Sept. 30 at the Vista courthouse, with opening statements and testimony expected Oct. 7 in Winslow’s retrial on eight felony and misdemeanor counts, including forcible rape and kidnapping.Following about a week of deliberations, jurors found Winslow guilty of raping a woman in Encinitas and exposing himself to two others. The panelists indicated that they were leaning toward guilty verdicts on each count on which they were ultimately unable to reach a consensus, leading San Diego Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman to declare a mistrial on those counts Tuesday morning.Winslow was convicted of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman — Jane Doe 2 — last May, exposing himself the same month to Jane Doe 3, who was gardening in her front yard in Cardiff, and touching himself in front of a 77- year-old woman — Jane Doe 5 — at a Carlsbad gym in February. He faces nine years in prison on those three counts.The 35-year-old son of former San Diego Chargers legend Kellen Winslow was acquitted of masturbating in front of Jane Doe 5 on a separate occasion.The jury was unable to reach consensus on rape and kidnapping charges involving a 54-year-old hitchhiker allegedly targeted last March in Encinitas, and a 17-year-old girl who was allegedly raped in 2003 at a Scripps Ranch house party.Winslow was initially charged last summer with raping Jane Doe 1 and 2 in Encinitas in early 2018, as well as exposing himself to Jane Doe 3 in her yard. Following his highly publicized arrest, Jane Doe 4 subsequently came forward to allege that he raped her in 2003 at a home in Scripps Ranch, when she was 17 and he was 19.Earlier this year, while Winslow was out on bail, he was arrested for exposing himself to Jane Doe 5 at a Carlsbad gym. Bail was revoked following his arrest in that case.At a hearing Friday morning, defense attorney Brian Watkins unsuccessfully argued Friday that Winslow should be released on $1 million bail, as the charge on which he was acquitted was the basis for revoking his bail earlier this year. But the judge ruled that Winslow will remain held without bail because he’s facing time in prison, making him a flight risk and “a substantial danger to the community.”Winslow is due back in court on Aug. 14 for a hearing on pretrial motions.In his closing argument last week, Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens told the jury that Winslow “took from these women what he wanted. Kellen Winslow took from these women again and again and again. This man took what he wanted from them and threw them away like trash because that’s what he thought of them.”Owens said none of the five women knew each other, yet their accounts yielded common details and similar physical descriptions of the suspect.Winslow’s attorneys, Marc Carlos and Brian Watkins, told the jury that the charged incidents were either consensual sex or never occurred at all.Winslow II grew up in San Diego and attended Patrick Henry and Scripps Ranch high schools before heading to the University of Miami. He played for four NFL teams between 2004 and 2013.RELATED STORY: Jury finds Kellen Winslow II guilty on multiple charges including rape KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: June 14, 2019 Prosecuters to retry ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow II
Robert Kennedy Publishing parent Canusa declared bankruptcy in June 2013 and AIM bought the three brands in cash through an auction process that kicked off in July. Andrew Clurman, AIM’s president and chief operating officer, says the company has been quietly building up its health and fitness division, anchored by its Yoga Journal and Vegetarian Times brands. “We track everyone who’s in our competitive neighborhood and we’ve been aware of and kept an eye on Clean Eating and Oxygen,” says Clurman. “We were impressed with the newsstand and subscription sales, both have been growing—the right way, not through artificial means.”Oxygen is currently at about 125,000 subscribers, with an additional 60,000 in newsstand sales. Clean Eating has 140,000 subscribers with another 80,000 sold at retail. And MuscleMag has about 50,000 readers with 32,000 subscribers and 18,000 single-copy sales.Prior to this deal, AIM’s healthy living group also included martial arts title Black Belt, Muscle & Performance, Better Nutrition, Amazing Wellness and The Box, a magazine for enthusiasts of the CrossFit style of exercise. Amazing Wellness and Muscle & Performance are both custom published for and distributed through The Vitamin Shoppe.The deal is characterized by a particularly traditional media framework, but Clurman says AIM’s approach has been to launch, or buy, a magazine and then surround it with a diversified platform. Prior to the acquisition, 42 percent of AIM’s revenues were advertising sourced (print and digital), with the rest coming from events, services and book and product sales. “This [deal] will increase our print advertising quotient, but our goal is to then diversify around these brands,” says Clurman.Most of the existing staff from the Kennedy titles were displaced as a result of the bankruptcy, but AIM is working with a firm in Toronto to restart the business and move some of the staff to the U.S. Oxygen and MuscleMag International will be moved to AIM’s California office, while Clean Eating will start operating out of the Boulder office. Enthusiast publisher Active Interest Media has acquired three titles from Robert Kennedy Publishing, based in Ontario, Canada. Included in the cash deal are women’s health and fitness title Oxygen, recipe and nutrition magazine Clean Eating and MuscleMag International.
BSE closes points 145.80 up on Oct 215.3K views00:00 / 00:00- 00:00:0000:00BSE closes points 145.80 up on Oct 215.3K viewsBusinessNew Delhi, Oct 21 (ANI): Trading at the Bombay Stock Exchange today closed 145.80 points up to stand at 26,575.65. At the National Stock Exchange the Nifty closed 48.35 points up to stand at 7,879.40. BEML and JINDALSTEEL were among the top gainers of Group A with an increase of 17.03% and 7.46% along with EDELWEISS and PIIND with an increase of 7.19% and 7.08% respectively, while the top losers of Group A include SUZLON and EXIDE INDUSTRIES LTD. with a decrease of 4.97% and 4.57% along with SOUTHBANK and GUJRATGAS with a decrease of 3.79% and 3.34% at the close of the markets. The Auto sector is up 113.23 points at 17,501.44 while the banking sector is up 223.04 points at 18,787.43 and the reality sector is up 37.88 points at 1,480.04. The Indian currency is down 0.05% at Rs 61.33 per dollar.Ventuno Web Player 4.50New Delhi, Oct 21 (ANI): Trading at the Bombay Stock Exchange today closed 145.80 points up to stand at 26,575.65. At the National Stock Exchange the Nifty closed 48.35 points up to stand at 7,879.40. BEML and JINDALSTEEL were among the top gainers of Group A with an increase of 17.03% and 7.46% along with EDELWEISS and PIIND with an increase of 7.19% and 7.08% respectively, while the top losers of Group A include SUZLON and EXIDE INDUSTRIES LTD. with a decrease of 4.97% and 4.57% along with SOUTHBANK and GUJRATGAS with a decrease of 3.79% and 3.34% at the close of the markets. The Auto sector is up 113.23 points at 17,501.44 while the banking sector is up 223.04 points at 18,787.43 and the reality sector is up 37.88 points at 1,480.04. The Indian currency is down 0.05% at Rs 61.33 per dollar.
Syrians walk past the rubble of destroyed buildings in the rebel-held town of Douma that witnessed government raids for continue despite the United Nations confirmation a few days earlier that Moscow formally asked its ally Damascus to stop launching strikes during the Geneva negotiations, which began earlier in the week. Photo: AFPRussia and China on Tuesday vetoed a Western-backed UN resolution that would have imposed sanctions on Syria over chemical weapons use, in the first clash at the Security Council since US President Donald Trump took office.The twin vetoes came as peace talks in Geneva showed no signs of progress on ending the nearly six-year war in Syria.It was the seventh time that Russia, Syria’s top military ally, has used its veto power to shield the Damascus regime. China has backed Moscow by using its veto six times on Syria.Russian President Vladimir Putin warned ahead of the vote that imposing sanctions on Syria was “completely inappropriate” while talks were ongoing in Geneva on ending the war.US Ambassador Nikki Haley shot back: “This resolution is very appropriate.”“It is a sad day on the Security Council when members start making excuses for other member states killing their own people.”“The world is definitely a more dangerous place,” she told the council after the measure was rejected.The resolution drafted by Britain, France and the United States won nine votes in favor, while three countries opposed it—Bolivia, China and Russia. Egypt, Ethiopia and Kazakhstan abstained.UN resolutions require nine positive votes and no veto to be adopted.‘Moment of truth’The resolution would have put 11 Syrians, mainly military commanders, and 10 entities linked to chemical attacks in 2014 and 2015 on a UN sanctions blacklist.It included a ban on the sale of helicopters and of chemical agents to the Syrian armed forces or the government.A UN-led investigation concluded in October that the Syrian air force had dropped chlorine barrel-bombs from helicopters on three opposition-held villages in 2014 and 2015.French Ambassador Francois Delattre said the vote was a “moment of truth” for the council, arguing that chemical weapons use was a “negation of all civilization.”In Paris, French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault took aim at Russia, saying it bore a “heavy responsibility toward the Syrian people and humanity as a whole.”British Foreign Minister Boris Johnson called China and Russia’s veto “deeply disappointing.”“The Security Council’s own investigation has found attacks were committed by the Syrian regime and Daesh on the Syrian people. Despite support from the majority of the Security Council, Russia, along with China, has chosen to prevent action,” Johnson said in a statement.The joint panel by the UN and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) also found that Islamic State jihadists used mustard gas in an attack in 2015.US joins Britain, France at UNThe vote marked the first major council action by the new Trump administration, which is seeking warmer ties with Russia.The United States has backed rebel groups fighting Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and leads a military coalition fighting the Islamic State group in Syria and Iraq.Britain and France had circulated the proposed measure in December and the new US administration joined as a co-sponsor of the draft resolution this month, indicating that it was ready to confront Russia on Syria.Russian Deputy Ambassador Vladimir Safronkov echoed Putin’s view that imposing sanctions would have undermined peace talks and described the draft resolution as a “provocation” by the Western “troika”.Chinese Ambassador Liu Jieyi argued that sanctions were premature and that the UN-OPCW panel should be allowed to complete its investigations.“At present, investigations are still ongoing and therefore it is too early to reach a final conclusion,” Liu told the council.Aside from China and Russia, Britain, France and the United States are the other veto-wielding permanent members of the Security Council.The Syrian government has repeatedly denied using chemical weapons in the war that has killed 310,000 people since March 2011.UN-brokered talks that opened on Thursday in Geneva ran into hurdles after Russia insisted that counter-terrorism be added to the agenda—putting pressure on opposition groups with ties to Islamist fighters.Putin—whose military intervention in Syria helped turn the tables in favor of Assad—lamented that the negotiations in Switzerland are “not going as smoothly as hoped.”
US President Donald Trump walks across the tarmac after stepping off Air Force One upon arrival at Morristown Municipal Airport in Morristown, New Jersey. Photo: AFPDonald Trump’s administration ramped up the pressure on North Korea on Sunday ahead of a week of high-stakes diplomacy at the United Nations, warning Pyongyang will be “destroyed” if it refuses to end its “reckless” nuclear and ballistic missile drive.With US officials and their allies scrambling to find ways to contain an increasingly belligerent Pyongyang, the US president will address the UN General Assembly on Tuesday and then confer Thursday with his Japanese and South Korean counterparts on the sidelines of the meeting.Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-In spoke by phone Saturday night and pledged “stronger pressure” on Kim Jong-Un’s regime, the South’s presidential office said, adding that the North must be made to realize that “further provocation” would put it on a “path of collapse.”The Security Council last Monday imposed a new raft of sanctions on North Korea-but their impact depends largely on whether China, Pyongyang’s ally and main economic partner, will fully implement them and on Russia, which is hosting tens of thousands of North Korean workers.Washington’s ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, kept up the rhetorical pressure ahead of the upcoming meetings in New York, asserting that if the North should pose a serious threat to the US or its allies, “North Korea will be destroyed.”Trump’s earlier warning he would rain “fire and fury” on a recalcitrant North Korea, she said, was “not an empty threat.”“None of us want war,” Haley added in an interview on CNN. “We wanted to be responsible and go to all diplomatic means to get their attention first. If that doesn’t work, General Mattis”-the US defense secretary-“will take care of it.”Enforcement in focusAs the US and its allies emphasize the diplomatic track, South Korea is also deploying a state-of-the-art US missile defense system. In their latest call, the White House said Trump and Moon had committed to “take steps to strengthen deterrence and defense capabilities” of South Korea, offering no details of how it might do so.Analysts say that in the event of hostilities, millions of people in the Seoul area-as well as the 30,000 US troops in South Korea-would be vulnerable to attack by the thousands of artillery pieces the North has positioned near the border, with potentially staggering casualties.So far, every effort to persuade the North to back away from its fast-developing nuclear and missile programs-including its most powerful nuclear test yet, on September 3 — has proved futile, at times even seeming to prompt new acts of defiance from Pyongyang.The North’s latest show of resistance came when it launched a long-range missile over Japan on Friday, just four days after the UN Security Council had passed a tough new package of sanctions.At the request of the United States, the Security Council will hold a ministerial-level meeting Thursday on ways to enforce the latest sanctions, which include an export ban on textiles, freezing work permits to North Korean guest workers and capping oil supplies.‘Rocket Man’Haley said sanctions had already provided a “punch in the gut” to Pyongyang but that strict enforcement was crucial.Separately, Trump’s national security advisor, H.R. McMaster, agreed that “the critical thing is going to be to get all countries, every one, to do all they can to enforce those sanctions, to do everything they can, short of a military conflict, to resolve this problem.”But if diplomacy and economic pressure fail, he added, “We have to prepare all options.”Pyongyang, an insular country with few outside contacts, says it needs nuclear weapons to protect itself from “hostile” US forces and is determined to build the capacity to deliver a nuclear warhead that could hit the US mainland.North Korea said Saturday it was bent on nothing less than military “equilibrium” with the United States.As his administration continued its efforts to rein in the North, Trump himself gave a more unbridled account of his latest diplomatic contacts.“I spoke with President Moon of South Korea last night. Asked him how Rocket Man is doing. Long gas lines forming in North Korea. Too bad!” Trump tweeted, apparently finding a new nickname for Kim (McMaster confirmed that that was probably Trump’s intention).Whether there are gas lines is unclear; very few people own cars in North Korea, outside military and government officials.
Travelweek Group CG Journeys’ new Russia fam visits both Moscow & St. Petersburg Tags: FAM, Moscow, St. Petersburg Tuesday, June 18, 2019 TORONTO — CG Journeys has a new fam to Russia that includes all the top sights of Moscow and St. Petersburg.Departing Sept. 12-21 from either JFK or LAX, the 10-day ‘Russia’s Two Capitals and Golden Ring’ fam starts in Moscow with visits to the Red Square, the world-famous Kremlin and a city bus tour. From there, agents will journey to Sergiev Posad followed by a tour of the Holy Tirnity-St. Sergius Lavra.After transport to Pereslavl-Zalessky where they’ll enjoy a city tour and welcome dinner, agents will then visit Suzdal to explore the Suzdal Kremlin and Euthymius Monastery.A high-speed Sapsan train – business class – will then take agents to St. Petersburg, where they’ll embark on a panoramic city tour that includes Peter and Paul Fortress followed by lunch at Taleon hotel. After lunch, agents will visit the famous Faberge Museum and enjoy free time during which they can take in a performance at the Mariinsky Theatre or shop with a personal guide.More news: Flight Centre Travel Group takes full ownership of Quebec-based agencyOther highlights in St. Petersburg include the Peterhoff Palace, often referred to as the ‘Russian Versailles’, the famous Catherine Palace in Pushkin, the Hermitage and the Winter Palace. A farewell dinner at the Four Seasons closes the tour.The fam is priced at $1,850 (single) and includes: international and domestic flights with Aeroflot Airlines from JFK or LAX; two nights’ accommodation at the four-star Azimuth hotel Smolenskaya, Moscow; two nights’ accommodation at the four-star Azimuth hotel Pereslavl; four nights’ accommodation at the five-star Belmond Grand Europe hotel; all breakfasts and lunches and three dinners; transportation, tours, museum and attractions entry and English-speaking guide as per program; Business class high-speed train ticket from Moscow to St. Petersburg; Moscow walking city tour; and city tours of Sergiev Posad, Pereslavl, Suzdal and St. Petersburg.For more information call 1-800-668-8401 or visit cgjourneys.com. Share Posted by << Previous PostNext Post >>