Fuzhou: India’s men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty on Thursday stunned sixth seed Hiroyuki Endo and Yuta Watanabe of Japan to enter the quarterfinals of the China Open in Fuzhou. Rankireddy and Shetty played their hearts out to get the better of their Japanese opponents 21-18 21-23 21-11 in a pulsating second round contest that lasted an hour and six minutes. For Rankireddy and Shetty, who had reached the French Open final last month, the latest win is their second straight over Endo and Watanabe. The Indians had defeated the Japanese duo in straight games in Paris last month. Rankireddy and Shetty will face Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen of China in the quarterfinals on Friday. Rankireddy and Shetty were the lone Indians left in the tournament after the others bite the dust on Thursday. Parupalli Kashyap and B Sai Praneeth were both ousted in the second round of the men’s singles event. World No. 11 Praneeth fought hard for one hour 24 minutes against fourth seed Anders Antonsen of Denmark before going down 20-22 22-20 21-16. Kashyap, ranked 25 in the world, ran out of steam after a decent start against seventh seed Victor Axelsen and went down 13-21 19-21 in a match that lasted 43 minutes. Praneeth’s loss marked the end of India’s campaign in the singles. Also Read | Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty enter top 10 of world doubles ranking in BadmintonThis is the second time Kashyap had lost to Axelsen this year. The former Commonwealth Games champion, who reached the semifinals of India Open and Korea Open earlier this year, had lost to the world number six at the India Open in March. It was also the end of the road for the mixed doubles pair of Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa. The unseeded Indian duo lost 21-23 16-21 to fifth seeds Seo Seung Jae and Chae Yujung of South Korea. For all the Latest Sports News News, Other Sports News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Published on February 18, 2019 at 9:23 pm Contact Nick: firstname.lastname@example.org | @nick_a_alvarez On the net closest to Syracuse’s bench, white jerseys grouped in four lines and tossed a ball between them. Shots whipped into twine as SU prepped for its season opener. Feeders flicked passes to shooters, and all movement was directed toward four multi-colored square patches placed in the corners of the cage. It would be the last time the Orange routinely found the back of the net on Feb. 8.Missing from the drill was Brendan Bomberry, SU’s leading goal-scorer (56) through the prior two seasons who graduated in 2018. No. 17 Syracuse (1-1) anticipated that it could replace Bomberry with veteran attackmen and fresh talent. But in its first test against the Raiders, it couldn’t. An offense that averaged 19.6 goals per game during its last five season-openers leading to blowout wins was held to nine scores. Colgate established an early lead, rushed Syracuse’s offense and shut down a unit that had relied on Bomberry’s interior scoring.Its following matchup against then-No. 15 Albany represented the course correction after midfielder Tucker Dordevic was ruled out for the season with a foot injury earlier in the week. The Orange won, 13-5, led by seven points from senior Bradley Voigt. For one game, the questions that arose from the historic Colgate blunder subsided. “We were just moving good off-ball,” Voigt said after the Albany win. “I think we were definitely more comfortable in the offense that we’re running right now.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textSusie Teuscher | Digital Design EditorVoigt started the season on the first line and joined returners Nate Solomon and Stephen Rehfuss. In the preseason, Voigt utilized his speed to charge the crease and finish inside, defender Marcus Cunningham said. But against the Raiders, plays called for Voigt ended in missed passes or shots into the stick of Colgate goalie Connor Mullen.Solomon and Rehfuss didn’t provide immediate support, either. Both tallied just one shot in the first half and didn’t score. While Solomon added three goals in the second half, SU’s execution came in bursts. Orange head coach John Desko said after the game that Syracuse’s shots were essentially turnovers since they were aimed at Mullen’s core.Colgate head coach Matt Karweck said his team emphasized “ball pressure.” The Raiders’ defenders tried to alter the Orange’s passing and shooting ability by disrupting their hand placement. An early shot attempt by Jamie Trimboli was tipped low. Sophomore Brendan Curry sailed a pass over Trimboli’s head a few possessions later, and the Raiders’ bench cheered as the plastic rolled toward them. Syracuse committed 17 turnovers, which would’ve been its second-highest game total in 2018.SU’s lack of possession and deficit was magnified by the new 80-second shot clock, which contributed to the offense settling for longer shots. Curry scored the first Orange goal of the game from 15-yards out. Trimboli totaled seven shots, most of which came from the top of the Raiders’ defensive zone.“On offense, we definitely have to play faster,” Curry said after the Colgate contest. “I think we have to play smarter. Not rush into things as much, kinda get the ball around a little bit, maybe not take the first shot you see.”Against Albany, Trimboli opened the scoring and showcased the differences of SU’s offensive approach. In the first quarter. He ran left, brought his hands together and ripped an overhand shot to beat goalie Nate Siekierski. Trimboli created space, operated earlier in the shot clock and benefited from off-ball movement.Voigt slipped into the soft spots of the Great Danes’ zone during power plays. He slung left-handed wristers into the net, finding free room after Solomon drew defenders in with dodges. After the Colgate loss, Solomon said that the shot clock may force the Orange to adjust and generate defensive slides. One week later, they did and created the separation that led to SU’s offensive revival.Through two games, Syracuse’s offense has been uneven. It looked unsettled in a historic loss and an unlikely hero — Voigt — avenged a blowout from 2018. With No. 13 Army on deck, the unit will need to establish consistency. Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments
An unspecified number of layoffs and programming cutbacks have taken place at Time Warner Cable’s El Segundo-based TWC SportsNet —home of the Lakers— SportsNet LA —home of the Dodgers— and TWC Deportes, according to several sources and confirmed by the company this morning.Details on how many were let go and how it broke down by departments was not detailed. Sources indicated more than 30 people have been let go at Deportes, including all of its on-air talent, meaning no more pre- or post-game shows for the Galaxy or any kind of programming not related to live event coverage.TWC SportsNet will also cut back on ancillary coverage surrounding the Lakers, Sparks and Galaxy. The Dodgers’ SportsNet LA will stop producing news shows such as Dodgers Clubhouse and Larry King At Bat.The popular “Backstage” shows, which are produced in-house, will remain, a spokesman said. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Sources also say that because of the Charter merger with Time Warner Cable, these kind of business moves are not uncommon in the consolidation process.The Galaxy released a statement: “Time Warner is a valued partner. We’ll continue to work with them to provide the most robust coverage of the Galaxy in LA.”Jaime Cardenas contributed to this report A TWC statement on the matter: “We recently made some changes to our programming for Time Warner Cable SportsNet, Time Warner Cable Deportes and SportsNet LA. As we fine-tuned the programming, it naturally meant that we would make some staffing changes as well. Like many other networks, we’re now past the ‘start-up’ stage and we have a greater handle on what our viewers want to see, and how to staff for that.”TWC SportsNet and the Spanish-language Deportes, owned by TWC, launched in Oct., 2012. The launch of SportsNet LA, owned by the Dodgers and distributed through TWC, came in Feburary, 2014.In a memo to staff employees, TWC Sports indicated the struggling ratings were the reason for the cutbacks.Ratings are related to sluggish distribution.The Dodgers’ SportsNet L.A. continues to struggle creating a carriage deal with main carries such as DirecTV, Dish, Verizon FIOS, AT&T Uverse. Time Warner Cable, recently purchased by Charter, remains the two major distributors in Southern California.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers[scribble src=”/event/2865855″ /] It has been an eventful evening for Laker nation this evening after Magic Johnson’s announced his resignation as the Lakers’ president of basketball operations.Magic’s announcement became a popular topic on Twitter as NBA fans shared their reaction to the news.In the middle of the whirlwind, the Lakers host the Portland Trailblazers tonight for the season finale at Staples Center.Viewing on a mobile device? Click here. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error