President Trump won a series of key battlegrounds early on Wednesday morning, including Florida, Ohio and Iowa, as Joseph R. Biden Jr. expressed confidence he would ultimately prevail across key Northern states and Arizona as the presidential contest turned into a state-by-state slog that could drag deeper into the week.“We believe we are on track to win this election,” Mr. Biden said in a brief speech after 12:30 a.m. Eastern, saying he was “optimistic” about the outcome once all the votes were counted. – Advertisement – No full states had yet flipped from their 2016 results as of 1 a.m., but several key states had huge portions of ballots still to be counted. Mr. Biden did flip a single Electoral College vote that Mr. Trump had won in 2016, carrying Nebraska’s 2nd Congressional District, which includes Omaha. With millions of legitimate votes still waiting to be counted, Mr. Trump prematurely and recklessly declared that he won the election. Appearing at the White House, he pressed for more vote counting in Arizona, where he is behind, and called to stop the count where he is ahead as he baselessly declared the election “a fraud on the American public.” In an unprecedented move that drew bipartisan condemnation, the president said he intended to go to the Supreme Court to intervene to halt the legitimate counting of the vote.- Advertisement – “We’re going to win this,” Mr. Biden said, urging “patience.”Mr. Biden’s win in Nebraska’s 2nd District was only one of the 270 Electoral College votes that he needs. But it could prove important. It opened a potential pathway to the White House without winning Pennsylvania, if Mr. Biden carried all the states that Mrs. Clinton did and added Michigan, Arizona and Wisconsin, plus Nebraska’s lone vote.In a briefing for donors on Tuesday night, Biden campaign officials acknowledged underperforming among Cuban-Americans in the Miami area, but saw positive signs with their strength in some suburbs in Ohio that they said could be predictive across the Midwest, according to two people familiar with the matter.Campaign officials signaled that Biden’s team was preparing to wait for votes to be counted in three Northern battlegrounds that Mr. Trump carried in 2016 — Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin — where it still feels bullish.North Carolina and Arizona could still be called relatively quickly. But vote-counting in the so-called former “blue wall” that Mr. Trump flipped in 2016 — Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — is not expected to be completed until later in the week. The most encouraging sign on the map for Mr. Biden was in Arizona, where he was leading in a state that Mr. Trump won in 2016. He won New Hampshire and Minnesota, two states that Hillary Clinton had only narrowly carried four years ago and that Mr. Trump had once hoped to flip in 2020. – Advertisement – So far, Mr. Trump was holding off Mr. Biden in two Southern states that the former vice president had hoped to snatch back from the Republican column: Georgia and North Carolina. These were not must-win states for Mr. Biden, but he spent heavily in both states and visited them in the final stretch of the campaign. Mr. Biden lost Texas, a long-shot hope that some Democrats invested in late in hopes of earning a landslide repudiation of Mr. Trump that did not arrive. Georgia has not gone Democratic since 1992. But while Mr. Trump held a narrow lead, much of the remaining vote to be counted appeared to be in the greater Atlanta area, where Mr. Biden performed strongest.Shortly after Mr. Biden spoke, Mr. Trump responded on Twitter, misleadingly saying he was “up big” and claiming without evidence that “they are trying to STEAL the election.” Twitter immediately marked it as content that was “disputed and might be misleading.” – Advertisement –
Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 1:58Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -1:58 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels720p720pHD576p576p360p360p216p216pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenWhy location is everything in real estate01:59 These are 2018’s best homes MORE: Online shopping trends are among the headwinds set to bombard retail property returns in the coming five years. Picture: AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews.Shoppers flocking to their couches for a bit of online retail therapy have property experts spooked, sending shivers through the latest five-year price forecasts. Retail was set to be the proverbial canary in the coal mine amid a fresh warning for commercial and industrial property investors to brace for lower returns in the coming half-decade.The siren was sounded by industry analyst and economic forecaster, BIS Oxford Economics in its latest Australian Property Outlook report out today.Author BIS Oxford Economics head of property Dr Frank Gelber expected post-GFC double-digit returns that the sectors have been enjoying to drop to single digits in the next five years.“Markets with low expectation of capital gain will soften first as buying pressure dries up,” he said. “Already, sentiment has turned against retail property, primarily for fear of growth in internet shopping. Other markets, too, are vulnerable.” Brisbane suburbs to watch in 2019 FOLLOW SOPHIE FOSTER ON FACEBOOK Retail, where the digital headwinds were, was also the sector most vulnerable to a shift in investor sentiment.Large format shopping centres were expected to ride it out better than traditional retail stores — with returns expected to halve to around 7.9 per cent on a five-year horizon. Still, it’s a big drop from the previous five years 16.7 per cent.The best performance for investors was expected to come from office markets with strong rental growth: Sydney (9.2 per cent internal rate of return IRR), Melbourne (7.7 per cent) and Canberra (6.1 per cent), according to Dr Gelber. All three though are a far cry from the 2013-2018 heyday where Sydney was 17.8 per cent, Melbourne 14.9 per cent and Canberra 10 per cent. More from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus15 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market15 hours agoOffice markets in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra were expected to be the best performers.“The weakest markets will be those which are cyclically exposed to weak leasing conditions. The Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane office markets will be vulnerable as investors come to realise how long it will take to absorb the oversupply of stock and the cost of re-leasing space in weak markets with high incentives. As investor interest dries up, softening yields will weaken prices and returns.”The good news for the sectors was that rising rents could add a soothing balm.“We can’t just put the money in cash. We have no choice but to allocate funds to the best available returns for given risk. Now we revert to leasing markets driving rents and hence capital growth and total returns. That brings the importance of demand and supply cycles back into play.”The most stable sector, according to the report, was expected to be “the currently less cyclical industrial markets”. “Expected total returns are solid rather than spectacular,” Dr Gelber said. “But risk of oversupply is low.”He acknowledged that “investment is becoming harder as the tailwind from falling bond rates turns into a headwind, and as the leasing and property cycles turn.”
But the hosts were back in front by the 74th minute as Lukaku converted from James McCarthy’s pass, the on-loan Chelsea striker taking his tally for Everton this season to nine goals. The three points mean Roberto Martinez’s side are – for a few hours at least – up a place to fourth in the table, while Southampton remain ninth. Martinez made five changes to his starting line-up from the surprise Sunderland loss, with some of them enforced. Captain Phil Jagielka was missing due to what the club confirmed was a hamstring injury, so defender Antolin Alcaraz came in for his Toffees debut. Goalkeeper Tim Howard and midfielder Gareth Barry were also absent having picked up a red card and fifth yellow card of the season in the Sunderland match respectively. Howard’s replacement was Robles, making his first Everton Premier League start. But while there were some key men not in the side, the Merseysiders were boosted by the return of full-back Leighton Baines, who had sat out the past six matches after suffering a broken toe. And Everton certainly looked no weaker than usual in the early stages as Coleman’s third goal in four games fired them into the lead. Everton finished 2013 on a high as Romelu Lukaku’s first goal in six games helped them to a 2-1 home victory over Southampton. The Republic of Ireland international collected the ball from Leon Osman, advanced down the right flank and then cut into the box, beating James Ward-Prowse in the process, before unleashing an emphatic effort beyond Kelvin Davis and into the net. In the 18th minute, Steven Naismith chased a long ball over the top and, as Davis caught it, went to ground in the area having felt contact from Dejan Lovren, but no penalty was given. Some nice build-up play from Southampton then saw Adam Lallana’s clever flick tee up Rickie Lambert, who brought a save out of Robles, but the assistant referee’s flag was raised which replays suggested was an incorrect decision. Luke Shaw sent a tame effort across the face of Robles’ goal moments later, and both sides struggled to create anything truly incisive for the rest of the first half, with Lukaku failing to make the most of one particularly decent-looking opportunity to send a cross in. Having juggled the ball away from Sylvain Distin and Osman on the edge of the area, Lallana dragged a shot wide, Ward-Prowse looped another off-target and, at the other end, Naismith looked to get his head to a delightful Baines free-kick delivery but Southampton cleared. In the opening seconds of the second half Shaw made a run down the left and played a good ball into the danger zone, where a touch from the sliding McCarthy ensured Lallana could not finish. Bryan Oviedo – booked moments earlier for a sliding challenge on Calum Chambers – then laid the ball to Ross Barkley, who side-footed wide right in front of goal. Southampton looked to apply pressure once more and after a Jay Rodriguez shot deflected behind off McCarthy, Robles spilled a cross before smothering the ball with Lambert lurking. And there was another suspect moment for Robles soon after as Ramirez collected the ball from Lallana and sent a dipping effort goalwards that seemed to fly right through the Spanish goalkeeper on its way in. Robles will have surely been relieved to have seen Everton’s advantage restored three minutes later. Having received the ball from substitute Steven Pienaar as the Toffees swept forward, McCarthy neatly set up Lukaku, who smashed it home past Davis. Lukaku sent an attempt over soon after and with Southampton desperately looking to salvage something, Shaw then did likewise. In the last few minutes Lukaku might have added another for Everton, but saw his shot saved by Davis. Press Association The Toffees – looking to bounce back from the Boxing Day defeat to Sunderland that had ended their hopes of going through the whole calendar year unbeaten at Goodison Park in the Barclays Premier League – went ahead in the ninth minute when Seamus Coleman burst into the area and finished with a powerful strike. Saints substitute Gaston Ramirez equalised in the 71st minute, beating Toffees goalkeeper Joel Robles, who it appeared should have done better in his attempt to save the effort, with a shot from distance.
Nasarawa Amazons who lost woefully in their first outing in the ongoing Zenith Bank Women basketball league going on at the Abuja National Stadium yesterday recorded the first victory with nail biting 55-51 victory over AHIP Queens from Kaduna.The AHIP girls were almost coasting home to win victory when the Amazons turned the game around and won the game with only two minutes left of play. Earlier in the day, Zamfara Babes who also lost their first game also tasted victory with a 47- 16 victory over Coal City girls from Enugu before the rampaging Inspector General of Police Queens demolished weeping team of the competition Oluyole Babes with a awesome 61-13 points victory.The league continues today with Plateau Rocks taking on Taraba Hurricanes, Delta Force playing Zamfara Babes, Ekiti Angels facing Oluyole Babes, AHIP Queens confronting power house and defending champion, First Bank, Sunshine Angels daring youthful Dolphins side and Benue Princess testing the strength of Nigeria Customs Babes.Speaking on today’s clash, First Bank Coach, Peter Favour Ahmedu said he was already looking beyond the first phase and focusing on the next phase.“I have seen the strength and weaknesses of all the teams in the competition and are now looking forward to the second phase,” he said.We will fine tune our strategy for the second phase and will not use the same tactics we used in the first phase,” he added.Ahmedu said he did not see any team in the first phase posing any threat to their ambition of retaining the title this year.The organiser, the Nigeria Basketball Federation (NBBF) has promised to put up a grand closing ceremony for the first phase which ends next Easter Monday.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram