June 14, 2019 Updated: 12:31 PM KUSI Newsroom, VISTA (KUSI) – Ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow II, who was convicted of forcible rape and misdemeanor indecent exposure and lewd conduct counts earlier this week, will be retried on charges involving two other alleged victims on which jurors deadlocked, prosecutors announced Friday.Jury selection is tentatively set for Sept. 30 at the Vista courthouse, with opening statements and testimony expected Oct. 7 in Winslow’s retrial on eight felony and misdemeanor counts, including forcible rape and kidnapping.Following about a week of deliberations, jurors found Winslow guilty of raping a woman in Encinitas and exposing himself to two others. The panelists indicated that they were leaning toward guilty verdicts on each count on which they were ultimately unable to reach a consensus, leading San Diego Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman to declare a mistrial on those counts Tuesday morning.Winslow was convicted of raping a 58-year-old homeless woman — Jane Doe 2 — last May, exposing himself the same month to Jane Doe 3, who was gardening in her front yard in Cardiff, and touching himself in front of a 77- year-old woman — Jane Doe 5 — at a Carlsbad gym in February. He faces nine years in prison on those three counts.The 35-year-old son of former San Diego Chargers legend Kellen Winslow was acquitted of masturbating in front of Jane Doe 5 on a separate occasion.The jury was unable to reach consensus on rape and kidnapping charges involving a 54-year-old hitchhiker allegedly targeted last March in Encinitas, and a 17-year-old girl who was allegedly raped in 2003 at a Scripps Ranch house party.Winslow was initially charged last summer with raping Jane Doe 1 and 2 in Encinitas in early 2018, as well as exposing himself to Jane Doe 3 in her yard. Following his highly publicized arrest, Jane Doe 4 subsequently came forward to allege that he raped her in 2003 at a home in Scripps Ranch, when she was 17 and he was 19.Earlier this year, while Winslow was out on bail, he was arrested for exposing himself to Jane Doe 5 at a Carlsbad gym. Bail was revoked following his arrest in that case.At a hearing Friday morning, defense attorney Brian Watkins unsuccessfully argued Friday that Winslow should be released on $1 million bail, as the charge on which he was acquitted was the basis for revoking his bail earlier this year. But the judge ruled that Winslow will remain held without bail because he’s facing time in prison, making him a flight risk and “a substantial danger to the community.”Winslow is due back in court on Aug. 14 for a hearing on pretrial motions.In his closing argument last week, Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens told the jury that Winslow “took from these women what he wanted. Kellen Winslow took from these women again and again and again. This man took what he wanted from them and threw them away like trash because that’s what he thought of them.”Owens said none of the five women knew each other, yet their accounts yielded common details and similar physical descriptions of the suspect.Winslow’s attorneys, Marc Carlos and Brian Watkins, told the jury that the charged incidents were either consensual sex or never occurred at all.Winslow II grew up in San Diego and attended Patrick Henry and Scripps Ranch high schools before heading to the University of Miami. He played for four NFL teams between 2004 and 2013.RELATED STORY: Jury finds Kellen Winslow II guilty on multiple charges including rape KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: June 14, 2019 Prosecuters to retry ex-NFL tight end Kellen Winslow II
In an effort to ensure On Base is best serving the needs of its readers, we are asking you to fill out a five-question, online survey. Your feedback is important to us so that we can consider possible changes to improve the newsletter’s format and content. Everyone who fills out the survey will be entered into a drawing to win $100 off of registration to Installation Innovation Forum 2019 in Miami from March 4-6.Thanks in advance for helping us ensure On Base continues to meet your needs. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
PM Modi lists out abuses hurled at him, Inside Congress’s dictionary of love Close IBTimes VideoRelated VideosMore videos Play VideoPauseMute0:02/7:14Loaded: 0%0:02Progress: 0%Stream TypeLIVE-7:12?Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedSubtitlessubtitles settings, opens subtitles settings dialogsubtitles off, selectedAudio Trackdefault, selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window. COPY LINKAD Loading … BJP National General Secretary Ram MadhavIANSRam Madhav, the National General Secretary of the Bharatiya Janata Patry, has defended Prime Minister Modi’s comments on the presence of clouds during the Balakot airstrike and his advice to experts on how clouds can help the Indian Air Force jets escape Pakistan’s radars.In a Facebook post, Madhav called out everyone who became an expert on radars and said that he consulted with “a real expert, a senior most professor and top nano-technologist” in the country and gave his point of view on what the prime minister had said. It is interesting to note that Madhav did not name the expert but said that he can be trusted and is non-political.The expert had said, “In the last few days, there has been some discussion on PM’s comment on whether fighter aircraft can avoid detection by radars in the presence of clouds. People, even some military personnel, are ignorantly arguing that radars are immune to weather conditions. The right question to be asked is: do weather conditions degrade radar performance? The answer is YES.”The anonymous expert went on to explain, “Military surveillance radars typically operate in S band (2 – 4 GHz) frequency band to achieve the best of accuracy and range. As the frequency increases beyond this range, it is good for accuracy but the signal attenuation will increase affecting the performance of the radar. If the radar is used in S band range of frequencies or lower, the presence of water molecules in air (due to fog, rain, clouds) will affect the performance of the radar through a phenomenon known as molecular dispersion.”The expert said that the clouds and rain will affect the signal and will lead to a “poor signal to noise ratio”, hence creating a disadvantageous situation for the radar which will face difficulties in picking up the radio signals.During situations when the sky is cloudy and there is rain, the signal could be optimized and molecular dispersion can be reduced using circular polarisation of the signals, the expert explains. However, the radar functioning will still be not up to the mark and will underperform.The expert concluded the statement by saying that there was nothing wrong with what PM Modi had said.Debates were sparked across all platforms when PM Modi, in an interview with The News Nation, said that prior to the Balakot airstrike he suggested the clouds and rain in the region could be useful for the India Air Force flights to escape Pakistan’s radars.According to the transcript of the interview, “The weather was not good on the day of airstrikes. There was a thought that crept in the minds of the experts that day of the strike should be changed. However, I suggested that the clouds can actually help our planes escape the radars.”Many called him out for his comments and how he could overrule those with expert knowledge on the matter and he was criticised for his “raw wisdom”.