USC’s Zeta Phi Rho fraternity attempted to beat the world record for the most sandwiches made in one minute for its 14th annual Zeta Phi ‘Skid’ Rho event Thursday in McCarthy Quad.The goal of the event is to make sandwiches that are then donated to the homeless living on Los Angeles’ Skid Row. Eric Liang, philanthropy chair at Zeta Phi Rho, supports his brothers’ development of leadership and teamwork through serving the community with events like “Skid” Rho.“The idea [for “Skid” Rho] came from brothers wanting to solve the homeless problem in Los Angeles by feeding them and spreading awareness of various ongoing issues,” Liang said.Zeta Phi Rho previously broke the world record for making the most sandwiches in one hour at the 12th Annual Zeta Phi “Skid” Rho at USC by making 17,341 sandwiches in 2014.Immediately after the event, the sandwiches were delivered to Union Rescue Mission on Skid Row. Liang estimated that they made around 400 sandwiches per minute, short of the 700-per-minute sandwich goal.“We didn’t beat the record unfortunately.” Liang said.Several participants donning plastic gloves gathered at McCarthy Quad to assemble sandwiches and partake in attempting to beat the world record. A handful of students from other schools, including members from Zeta Phi Rho’s UCLA chapter, also attended to help attempt to set the world record at USC.Thursday’s event began with several sandwich-making games that prepped participants for breaking the record. Brothers from Zeta Phi Rho informed participants about the event’s purpose and the target sandwich number they needed to beat.During the event, participants split up into tables and teams to start the sandwich-making process. The participants constantly bumped arms with each other in an effort to accelerate their sandwich production.Most groups split up the work putting peanut butter and jelly on the sandwich and opening the jars and packages in a bid to fill any vacant space. Other teams had more efficient ways at getting the job done.In addition, retailers such as 7-Eleven, ONO Hawaiian BBQ, Coca Cola and Frito-Lay sponsored the event, supplying the event with snacks, gift cards and prizes to ensure that the participants were full of energy and motivation to participate and assemble sandwiches.After the event, Zeta Phi Rho encouraged participants to sign a petition to improve mental health facilities in downtown Los Angeles. With the signatures from the petition, Zeta Phi Rho plans on drafting a deliverable that will be addressed to Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti to request for more of the city’s budget to be allocated to mental health facilities.“We want Trojans to read more about the link between mental health and homelessness and to reach out to the L.A. governor to express their voice,” Liang said.
The Tipperary side travel to take on Blackrock in the Division 1B Play-Offs this afternoon.Peter Silk is a member of the club committee.He says Cashel have reason to be confident they can get a good result in Stradbrook.
Ghanaian football supporters will on Monday(Today)march against the Canadian High Commission in protest against the denial of visas.The supporters have complained of the high denial rate of visas by Canada which is hosting the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup which kicks off on August 5.The protest comes on the back of complaints made by the supporters to Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Ministry to appeal to the High Commission to increase the quota of visas granted to allow for football fans to travel for the tournament. The demonstration is being organised by the Coalition of Ghana supporters and will start from Circle at 10am.” How can you bid for a world cup when you know you will not allow supporters in to watch it? We know not everybody’s document will be perfect but they are bouncing everybody with the same reason,how is that possible?” one of the organisers of the protest complained to Allsports.
James Rodriguez will return to Real Madrid’s starting line-up for Sunday’s La Liga game at home to Granada after being out for two months with a broken bone in his foot, coach Carlo Ancelotti said on Saturday.The Colombia midfielder, who has had a fine debut season since joining from Monaco in July, sustained the injury in the league game against Sevilla in early February and will come back into the side in place of the suspended Isco.”James is fine and will start the match tomorrow,” Ancelotti told a news conference before adding that midfielder Sami Khedira and full back Dani Carvajal would be rested.The return of James is a welcome boost for the European champions who have lost three of their last four matches in all competitions.After winning last month’s ‘Clasico’ at home to Real 2-1, leaders Barcelona are four points clear of their arch rivals at the top with 10 games left and visit Celta Vigo later on Sunday.Isco’s ban means Ancelotti does not have to decide between him and James in his starting 11. The Spain midfielder is a huge favourite among the fans, already angry at their team’s recent stumble, and if Ancelotti drops him he could be on the receiving of more criticism.Ancelotti said he was confident Real could catch Barca and that the squad was in good shape physically and mentally, with only centre back Pepe sidelined by injury and due back in around a week.”We are convinced everything is still open,” said the Italian.”The team is full of desire and is in very good shape right now,” added Ancelotti who led Real to a record-extending 10th European crown in his first season in charge in 2013-14.”The team is fresh and prepared to fight for all the matches. We are in better physical shape going into this stage of the season than last year.” Real have La Liga games at home to Rayo Vallecano and Eibar before they play at Atletico Madrid in the first leg of their Champions League quarterfinal on April 14.–
Veteran NBA reporter Adrian Wojnarowski has been suspended from ESPN without pay, according to the New York Post. ESPN has not publicly confirmed the suspension and declined to comment to the Post. Wojnarowski’s suspension stems from replying “F— you” in an email in response to Missouri senator Josh Hawley. Hawley had sent an email criticizing the NBA for the messages allowed on the back of players’ jerseys during the NBA restart. Hawley argued there should be additional messages such as “Stand with Hong Kong” or messages supporting law enforcemant. The letter was addressed to NBA commissioner Adam Silver.Wojnarowski apologized for his actions saying they were “disrespectful” and he made a “regrettable mistake.” In its own statement, ESPN called Wojnarowski’s email “completely unacceptable behavior.”https://t.co/cHyqaxBLQC pic.twitter.com/b2gPBcNzS3— ESPN PR (@ESPNPR) July 10, 2020MORE: LeBron won’t wear social justice message on jersey When news came down of Wojnarowski’s reported suspension, several people came to his defense. The hashtag #FreeWoj began trending on Twitter as several NBA enthusiasts shared their praise and offered support for the veteran reporter. Many of those people sharing the #FreeWoj hashtag were NBA players. Players like LeBron James, Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, Jamal Murray and more shared their opinion.#FreeWOJ!! 🤜🏻🤛🏾— LeBron James (@KingJames) July 12, 2020Aye #Freewoj man 😂😂— Lou Williams (@TeamLou23) July 12, 2020Till it’s backwards 🙏🏾🙏🏾 https://t.co/AwP0IqUHW6— Patrick Beverley (@patbev21) July 12, 2020#freeWoj— Anthony Tolliver (@ATolliver44) July 12, 2020💯 https://t.co/4Erg4PubDj— Isaiah Thomas (@isaiahthomas) July 12, 2020#FreeWoj— Jamal Murray (@BeMore27) July 12, 2020#FreeWoj ✊🏾 but in the #Verzuz battle I’m taking @ShamsCharania— Spencer Dinwiddie (@SDinwiddie_25) July 12, 2020#NBATwitter finding out @espn suspended Woj #FreeWojpic.twitter.com/xCgeEZj5fW— Enes Kanter (@EnesKanter) July 12, 2020Until It’s Backwards!! https://t.co/BzKDZtjQAd— 13am Adebayo💥 (@Bam1of1) July 12, 2020😭😭😭 #freewoj tho https://t.co/TpARz2cLIa— Myles Turner (@Original_Turner) July 12, 2020🗣 #FreeWoj ‼️— Harrison Barnes (@hbarnes) July 13, 2020NBA players weren’t the only ones sharing messages of support. On Change.org, a created petition named “Get Adrian Wojnarowski (Woj) His Job back. FREE WOJ” has over 6,000 signatures as of this writing.
Kaia Arua Photos Ravini Oa Pacific MMI PNG Lewas Squad Team Manager 2 Varoi Morea 11 Asst. Coach 6 Rodney Maha 1 Brenda Tau Gayan Loku Pauke Siaka 7 14 8 Tanya Ruma (VC) Kopi John Peter Williams Konio Oala Photo: Pacific MMI PNG Lewas playing against Australian Under 18 Girls TeamWe will bring you regular updates on our website and you can also follow us on twitter – @Cricket_PNG and on our page on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/cricketpng. Helen Buruka Pacific MMI PNG Lewas Fixture 3 Mebo Ipi 13 After winning the toss, the Lewas batted first, posting their best score of the Australian tour to be eventually bowled out for 157 inside 49 overs.Mebo Ipi (25), Norma Ovasuru (23), Varoi Morea (20), Sibona Jimmy (17) and Kaia Arua (17) all made valuable contributions in a solid batting performance against the best young female bowlers in Australia.In reply, the Australians had no troubles passing the score, losing just one wicket on the way.“It was clearly our best batting performance on the tour,” said the Pacific MMI PNG Lewas coach Rodney Maha.“We knew it was going to be a tough game today, playing against the best young female cricketers in Australia. Our aim was to bat out the 50 overs, and we nearly did that.“Most of our batswomen got starts, but our next step is to convert these starts into big scores. We have improved in each game on tour, and we will continue to improve in our final matches,” said Maha.The Pacific MMI Lewas will play the Australian Under 18 girls team in two (2) T20 matches today at Allan Border Field, before flying back to Port Moresby on Monday. Norma Ovasuru (C) 9 Coach Greg Campbell Mairi Tom NAME 10 Sibona Jimmy Team Manager Veru Kila Frank 5 4 Sunday 27th September, 2015- Pacific MMI Lewas vs Aus U18 @ Allan Border Field 12 For more information contact: Karen Marie +675 7105 4444
Jamaica Scorpions, on the back of another shallow batting display, were yesterday defeated by 117 runs on the final day of their top-of-the-table WICB First-Class Championship clash against leaders and title-holders Guyana Jaguars at Sabina Park. Starting the day on 83 for three and needing another 244 runs to win, Jamaica were blown away for 208 midway the post-lunch session. Leading the Guyana bowling charge was outstanding 19-year-old left-arm spinner, Gudakesh Motie, who claimed six for 33 to take his tournament-leading tally to 34 wickets. The lanky Motie, playing in his debut first-class season and fifth match overall, last year represented West Indies Under-19s at the ICC Youth World Cup. “It was a disappointing performance, particularly as it relates to our batting,” bemoaned Scorpions captain, Paul Palmer Jr. “Our bowlers did well, especially in the first innings, but our batsmen did not back them up.” He added: “It is now a setback for us as Guyana have moved further ahead in the standings. But it is still midway the season and we still have time, so hopefully we can catch up with them.” Jamaica now have three wins and two defeats and lie third in the standings on 53 points. Guyana, unbeaten after five matches, extended their tally to 85, while Barbados Pride, who defeated Leeward Island Hurricanes by 10 wickets, are second on 63 points. The tournament, being played on a home-and-away basis over 10 rounds, will take a break to facilitate the holiday season, as well as the NAGICO Super50 regional one-day tournament, which bowls off in January. Volcanoes, Red Force draw AT THE BEAUSEJOUR CRICKET STADIUM: Windward Islands Volcanoes drew with Trinidad and Tobago Red Force on the final day of their fifth round game here yesterday. Scores: VOLCANOES 306 (Shane Shillingford 64, AndrÈ Fletcher 63, Mervyn Mathew 48 not out, Devon Smith 32, Liam Sebastien 30; Imran Khan 3-100, Narsingh Deonarine 2-29, Uthman Mohammed 2-51) & 198 for seven (Devon Smith 56, Shane Shillingford 34, AndrÈ Fletcher 29). RED FORCE 382 (Yannick Ottley 99 not out, Yannic Cariah 70, Narsingh Deonarine 60, Marlon Richards 60; Kevin McClean 4-66, Shane Shillingford 3-109).
Western Bureau: Eighteen-year-old Joel Sterling shares the same surname with a very famous Jamaica-born England international, Raheem Sterling; and like the Manchester City attacking midfielder, he enjoys scoring goals. The Clarendon College striker has already struck a fine patch of form, netting five times in two matches in the 2015 ISSA/Flow daCosta Cup. His hat-trick against Group H rivals Edwin Allen that helped his team to a big 6-1 victory in the first match of the season was something special. He followed up that performance with a superb brace in Clarendon’s 6-0 rout of Kellits High on Wednesday. His talent is obvious and is definitely one to watch in this year’s competition. Sterling, despite his success so far, has remained grounded and humble. He told The Gleaner that while he scores the goals, victory is always a team effort. “When we win it’s never because I score. It’s because the team played a part in me being able to score. We are a tight bunch of players who believe in each other’s ability,” said Joel. “It is a great experience for me so far,” the first-time daCosta Cup player added. Sterling (Joel) clearly loves football but speaks of the need for a proper education. He is eyeing a scholarship to a United States-based college where he intends to further his education, but is in no way planning to stop playing football. He reasoned that football can help garner the scholarship he desires and is planning on a professional career. “But once I am through playing professionally, I will have a good education to fall back on,” the level-headed player noted. But five goals in two matches, while a decent return, the striker wants much more. He is targeting no less than 25 goals in what will be his only daCosta Cup season, and he has former Clarendon College star player Kevin Deere to thank. “I have Deere as my role model. He was a very good player here, and because of that, my game has developed,” Sterling reasoned. “We have a very good chance of defending our title, and I do not see us losing it. So the next game we are going out there to enjoy ourselves and play good, attacking football,” he said.
Freak StormFamilies affected by the recent rainstorm in the Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) community are currently benefiting from the continuous donation of zinc sheets as well as cleaning agents and utensils, made possible through the Civil Defence Commission (CDC). Over a hundred families were affected by the storm which ripped through the community last Friday, leaving destruction to homes.On Tuesday, representatives from the CDC, along with Minister of State Dawn Hastings, Regional Chairman Renis Morian and Councillors visited 16 of the affected families where numerous donations were made. According to Regional Vice Chairman Elroy Adolph, the distribution is slated to continue during this week.Adolph said that beverage giant Banks DIH also came on board with additional assistance on Wednesday.The storm which lasted for some two and a half hours resulted in damage to homes in areas such as Blueberry Hill, Silvertown, Burnham Drive, Retrieve, Fair’s Rust and other areas. Following the storm, several residents complained that their rooftops had blown off and numerous trees were uprooted across the community. It also resulted in intense flooding in several residential areas as well as Central Mackenzie— which houses the main shopping district in the community. Numerous electrical power lines and posts were also damaged during the ordeal. Regional officials have since indicated that efforts have been made to budget for a relief bond in Linden which will assist in the storage of items in such times. Officials have also appealed to residents to utilise screws instead of nails when securing zinc sheets to the rooftops of their homes.