JOSE MOURINHO is looking to make it three from three as Bournemouth visit the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.The Special One couldn’t have asked for a better start following victories over West Ham and Olympiacos.And Spurs have the number over the Cherries in this H2H, having won all four of their meetings in North London without conceding.Follow live updates from Jose’s latest game below…Start time: 3pmVenue: Tottenham Hotspur StadiumTV/Live stream: Not on TV in the UK
MOST READ Nicholas Baldwin of Seychelles is in second followed by Simon Cochrane of New Zealand.Cochrane got the early head start in the race but Lampret gained steam after the 62 kilometer mark to take pole position.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownFour Filipinos took the sixth to ninth places early with Benjamin Rana in sixth, Jonard Saim in seventh, August Benedicto in eighth and Arland Macasieb in ninth.A pair of Australians are pacing the pro women field with Liz Blatchford the frontrunner followed by Dimity Lee Duke. Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Weinstein rape trial After Game 1 gaffe, J.R. Smith seeking a bounce-back effort Rounding out the top five in the pro men are Cameron Brown of New Zealand and Eneko Elosegui of Spain.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award China population now over 1.4 billion as birthrate falls Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Dave Chappelle donates P1 million to Taal relief operations Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netThe first full distance Ironman race in the Philippines is underway.As of posting time, Freddy Lampret of Austria is leading the way after 92 kilometers in the bike in the top pro men.ADVERTISEMENT Winfrey details her decision to withdraw from Simmons film Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Lacson: Calamity fund cut; where did P4 billion go? LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — High on Ice, Fort St. John’s winter and ice festival, is coming up this weekend. While there are tons of festivities in store, the main attraction is the ice sculptures.Recreation Programmer with the City of Fort St. John, Marissa Jordan, says the theme this year is ‘Out of this World’ — as suggested by the carving team — so festival-goers can be ready to see space-related ice carvings. This follows the ‘Winter Games’ theme from last year, as Prince George hosted the Canada Winter Games, and Fort St. John hosted long-track speed skating.But, taking a look at the temperature for the weekend, there’s a chance the display of ice sculptures outside for four days may not go as smoothly as planned. As of Thursday afternoon, the sun is supposed to shine intermittently all weekend, and help boost temperatures to above zero.- Advertisement -While eight sculptors — from Canada, the United States, Russia, and Lithuania — work away to get their artwork ready for tomorrow night, Jordan says they’re taking precautions right now to make sure the work is preserved for the festival.“The sun is the biggest problem, obviously,” she told Energetic City. “So even if we can block the light, that helps significantly with the carvings not melting.”Festival organizers don’t have a practical way of moving the sculptures once they’re done, says Jordan. But, if the weather isn’t favourable for keeping them well-composed, barricades would be put in place and people attending the festival will be told to be mindful that they aren’t in their best condition and could fall apart if they melt too much.Advertisement “The weather is something we obviously don’t have any control over,” she continued. “There are a lot of other activities and things to do as part of the festival — and not just the ice and snow — so explore other options on our events calendar.”All the commissioned ice pieces will be completed in Centennial Park tomorrow. More complimentary ice pieces will be completed throughout the weekend.
Shaun Wright-Phillips 1 New York Red Bulls have announced the signing of former England international Shaun Wright-Phillips.The 33-year-old former Manchester City winger will join brother Bradley in the Big Apple and, while the MLS club did not disclose terms of his contract, he will be available for Saturday’s trip to the Philadelphia Union.Wright-Phillips, who has won 36 caps for England, made 299 Premier League appearances for Manchester City, Chelsea and QPR, who he left this summer after four years at Loftus Road.Red Bulls head coach Jesse Marsch said on his club’s website: “We are pleased to add Shaun to our club.“Shaun has performed at the highest levels of the game for his entire career, in the Premier League and on the international level, and brings a wealth of talent and experience.“He has been training here and we have seen his professionalism day in and day out. We think he is a tremendous addition both on the field and as a veteran presence in our locker room.”Striker Bradley Wright-Phillips, 30, joined Red Bulls in 2013 and has scored 41 goals in 63 appearances for the club.Bradley and Shaun played together at Man City in 2004.
SACRAMENTO – It will be illegal for hunters to possess or fire lead ammunition when they are in California condor habitat under regulations adopted Friday by a state commission. By a vote of 3-1, the California Fish and Game Commission expanded the state’s lead ammunition ban in an effort to safeguard North America’s largest flying bird. “It’s pretty clear lead poisoning is one of the major factors preventing recovery of the species,” said Jeff Miller, a conservation advocate at the Center for Biological Diversity. “It’s another step in getting lead out of the food chain.” The condor was once found from coast to coast, but hunting, pesticides and development drove the birds to the brink of extinction. The federal government declared the bird endangered in 1967. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champScientists for years have said condors are poisoned when they ingest lead while feeding on the bullet-ridden carcasses of other animals. But regulators have been slow to act. Earlier this summer, commissioner R. Judd Hanna said Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s administration asked him to resign after he clashed with the National Rifle Association over pending condor protections. The regulation will take effect July 1, 2008.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventWitnesses told California Highway Patrol investigators Bibinz had been driving erratically the morning of the crash and crossed the double-yellow line, colliding with Sprinkles, who was riding a motorcycle. Sprinkles was married and had two young sons. SAN FERNANDO – An illegal immigrant with a lengthy rap sheet was ordered Monday to stand trial on a charge of vehicular manslaughter stemming from a head-on collision that killed a Canyon Country paramedic. Juan Bibinz is scheduled to return to San Fernando Superior Court on May 2 for sentencing and faces up to six years in prison – plus a hold by Immigration and Customs Enforcement, a court official said. Michael Sprinkles, 39, of Lancaster died in the Sept. 6 crash on a remote stretch of Sierra Highway as he headed home from an overnight shift at Los Angeles County Fire Station 107 in Canyon Country. Sprinkles worked for the American Medical Response ambulance company. Bibinz, who lived in Littlerock, was being held on $100,000 bail. He had past convictions, including for grand theft and drug sales, and had been deported to his native Mexico, but returned illegally to the U.S., authorities said at the time.
Manchester City have entered the transfer battle for Italian teen sensation Sandro Tonali.The Brescia midfielder is turning heads in Serie B at the moment and he has been compared to the legendary Andrea Pirlo. no dice REVEALED The 18-year-old is expected to leave Brescia next summer and interest in him is already very high.Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri wants to bring him to England, while AC Milan – the club he supported as a boy – and Juventus have also made enquiries about him.And, according to Corriere dello Sport, Manchester City have also joined the hunt for Tonali, who was recently called up to the Italy squad for the first time.The Premier League champions are understood to have been scouting the youngster and they are now ready to swoop. huge blow Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card RANKED REPLY shining Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won Oxlade-Chamberlain suffers another setback as Klopp confirms serious injury Forbes list reveals how much Mayweather, Ronaldo and Messi earned this decade ADVICE MONEY 1 Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions Ronaldo warned Lukaku how hard scoring goals in Serie A would be before Inter move REVEALED Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Latest Football Stories BEST OF Italian wonderkid Sandro Tonali. City believe the Italian has a bright future ahead of him and, with interest in him growing, they want to snap him up quick.On the comparison to Pirlo, who won the World Cup with Italy in 2006 and is regarded as one of the finest midfielders of his generation, he said: “He inspired me, but I’ve never seen another like him.“Maybe my hair is similar. My role model was [Gennaro] Gattuso in terms of grit.”
Local animal welfare group Donegal Pet Rescue has pleaded with the public to safeguard their dogs after a spate of thefts in recent days.Kick-boxer Tommy McCafferty has been reunited with his dog SaoirseDozens of dogs of all breeds have gone missing in recent weeks.It is feared the dogs are being sold on or may even be used for other uses such as bait for dog-fighting. The group says it fears a gang of organised thieves are behind the thefts.One of Donegal’s best-known sportsmen, champion kick-boxer Tommy McCafferty, had his beautiful dog taken from his garden in broad daylight.The dog, an American Akita named Saoirse, was taken from Tommy’s garden in Burt.However, through social media the dog was returned and left back at Tommy’s home shortly afterwards. A spokesman for Donegal Pet Rescue said “We Encourage all pet owner to please be aware of their pets whereabouts to avoid them ending up in the wrong hands.“We encourage anyone with a missing pet to place a photo on our facebook page were we have a dedicated album for lost and found pets, maybe someone out there could have the key to finding your pet.” CHAMPION KICK-BOXER TOMMY IS LATEST VICTIM OF DOG THIEVES was last modified: January 15th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Pet RescueMissing Dogstommy mccafferty
– Fred Farris Encino A two-way border Re: “Wall it up” (Your Opinions, Dec. 25): Robert Gardner sees Mexicans’ anger at a proposed border wall as hypocritical in light of their own policies and treatment of their southern neighbors. Mexico is used as a passageway to the United States by Central American and South American neighbors. Mexico stems this tide through its immigration laws. The United States and Mexico rely on one another – one for goods, the other for material and workers. A wall might work to keep illegal immigrants from entering the U.S. It might also work to keep U.S. businesses out of Mexico and prevent them from exploiting Mexico’s natural resources. Maybe it could also keep out McDonald’s, Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Kentucky Fried Chicken and so many other American corporations that now threaten the skilled craftsmen and other small businesses in Mexico. – Eugenia Mendez Sherman Oaks Missing penguin Re: “Hope dims in U.K. for stolen penguin” (Briefly, Dec. 23): The story of the missing juvenile penguin points to a human thief for the disappearance. Baby penguins are favorite targets of aerial predators such as owls, hawks, eagles and, as seen in the “March of the Penguins” movie, gull-like skuas. – Sol Taylor Sherman Oaks What lost rights? The Daily News does a disservice to its readers in printing letters from people who state, as fact, things like “Americans are losing their rights, one by one.” These writers are left unchallenged to specify exactly what rights they have lost. Give us readers examples and name who it happened to and the circumstances. Merely mimicking the latest unsupported headline isn’t good enough. My family and I still do all things freely: shop, travel, worship, read, opine publicly, disagree with my government, etc. What am I missing? – Frank Arenson Valencia California problem This “holiday season” has helped me to understand what California’s biggest problem is. A majority of the citizens and a larger majority of members of the state Legislature have faith in a supernatural creature. However, it is not God; it is Santa Claus. – Sinclair Buckstaff Northridge 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake It is sincerely hoped that your photo of the “new electric motorbikes at Lake Balboa Park” does not encourage riding all sorts of motorized vehicles on the bike and pedestrian paths in the public park. Is it legal to ride motorized vehicles there? What safety restrictions exist for these vehicles? Tragic accidents can be predicted if some foolish children defy the rules and ride them in streets or on sidewalks. – Barbara Adams Reseda Hanging Tree loss This week a piece of Encino history was destroyed as a developer cut down the 500-year-old oak tree on Encino Avenue, known as the “hanging tree” in days of yore. Despite protests from neighbors and city agencies, he arrogantly declared his legal right to destroy this beautiful old oak as his property was just under one acre. Isn’t it time we changed the ordinance that gave him this opportunity? “Encino” means “oak” in Spanish, and this community was so named because of its ancient trees, but our city officials have sadly failed to protect and preserve them for the generations to come. Re: “Patching No. 80,173” (Dec. 28): There have been a lot of jokes lately about Jesse Jackson showing up for any photo opportunity. I think our new mayor is trying to outdo him. On Tuesday, 20 or so of our city employees waited in North Hollywood for him to get on some dumb machine and fill the 80,173th pothole this month. I wonder if he will pay their stand-around pay? – George Kilbride Sun Valley Motorbikes in park Re: “New sets of wheels” (Photo, Dec. 27):
Deputy Pat the Cope Gallagher Leas Cheann Comhairle has said it is ‘nothing short of reckless’ that the government has not approved additional bed capacity and staffing at Letterkenny University Hospital. The Donegal TD called on the Government to take action on a proposal submitted to Saolta for funding to re-open the short stay ward and increase bed capacity from 330 to 350.The €1.8m funding bid also called for an extra 14 staff nurses, additional care assistants and CNM posts plus ancillary staff. Fianna Fail TD Pat the Cope said the HSE’s reply “clearly identifies that Saolta and the Government have failed to act and sanction the additional bed capacity for the Hospital.”He said: “the additional 20 beds and appropriate additional staffing levels would go a long way in dealing with the current capacity issues which we witness almost on a daily basis in Letterkenny. “Shockingly, we have witnessed time and time again full capacity protocols exercised in the hospital all year round, now as we face into the critical winter period it is most concerning as it is clear the hospital cannot cope with the levels of service demands placed on it with the current existing capacity within the hospital. “The hospital are awaiting approval for the additional capacity since October but no final approval has yet been given by the Minister and the Government. “Meantime, the Government espouse their winter strategy but it does not seem to apply to Donegal as they continue to ignore the ongoing difficulties within Letterkenny University Hospital. “The staff within the Hospital are doing their utmost and level best to provide full and complete services to the patients but, without additional capacity demands can never be met as extra beds and staff are urgently needed before the winter fully sets in. !It is nothing short of reckless that the Government have not approved the additional capacity and staffing for Letterkenny.”Pat the Cope added, “I have previously asked the Government to conduct a full and complete review of services, staffing levels and capacity within the hospital, the current proposal before the Government is for an additional 20 bed capacity, an extra 14 staff nurses, additional care assistants and CNM posts plus ancillary staff. “Had the Minister for Health heeded that request we could have avoided the difficulties experienced by the hospital and the many patients over the past year. “I am demanding the Government take immediate action in relation to Letterkenny, enough procrastination and time wasting has been allowed to occur under this Government’s watch, approval needs to be given for the hospital to expand bed capacity and staffing levels in order to counteract the ongoing crises at the hospital.”TD accuses government of ignoring requests for extra beds at LUH was last modified: November 14th, 2017 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)